Owen Square, Walmer, Deal
Kent CT14 7TL

See on

01304 372486


The Downs Church of England Primary School

Special Educational Needs

Role of our Senco

A message from our SENCO:

My role within school is to ensure all children who have been identified as having a Special Educational Need receive support tailored to them as an individual.  When a pupil is identified as having a SEN they will be entered onto our SEN Register, this ensures their additional provision can be monitored and reviewed regularly. We always discuss your child’s progress with you and together we will decide whether the support gained from being on the SEN register is beneficial to your child.

Along with monitoring provision and tracking pupil’s progress, I support teachers to ensure that strategies are in place to enable these pupils to progress and reach their full potential.  Sometimes it is necessary to involve specialist services in either identifying or supporting pupils, whose need, despite the consistent and thorough support offered by the school, continue to make little or no progress over a sustained period of time.  

Within my role I liaise with outside agencies and talk about children’s learning needs and how we can best support pupils in school.  Support could be either by introducing effective teaching approaches specific to the level and area of identified need, resources, strategies and interventions.  Throughout all of these processes I work with and support parents of pupils with SEN, we feel this is essential to the progress of all children within our school.

If you have any queries about your child's SEN provision please contact Mrs Barnes, SENCO, via the school office.


SEN Report

Additional Information for Parents and Carers of Children who have Additional Needs:

The Local Authority are responsible for ensuring that they provide details of how information, advice and supported related to SEN and disabilities can be accesses and resourced. This is identified in the Local Offer published on the www.kent.gov.uk website. The Local Authority are required to provide information to parents regarding:

'The provision they expect to be available across education, health, and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled including these who do not have Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP)'

KCC strategy-for-children-with-special-educational-needs-and-disabilities

You can find information, support and advice as well as other services that you might find useful through the local offer: https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/special-educational-needs

SEND Parent Information - Secondary and Further Education Information 

Are there any other support services that could help?

STLS/Specialist Teaching and Learning Service

National Autistic Society

National Network of Parent Carer Forums

Information, Advice and Support Kent for Parents

Family Information Services

Autism Education Trust

Dyslexia SpLD Trust

I CAN - the children's communications charity


Kent Parent Carer Forum

Please contact the school if you need any further information and we will be happy to signpost you to the appropriate Outside Agency/Charity or Organisation that would best help you.

  1. Letter to parents from Kent Educational Psychology Service