Year 4 Term 6 Newsletter
Welcome back to Term 6 of Year 4.
Wow – Hasn’t this year gone quickly.
This term at The Downs the whole school topic is “ Going for Gold” and Year 4 have chosen to learn about the Ancient Greeks. We will be using this opportunity to take a trip to Dover Museum thinking about the Ancient Greeks and the Olympics.
Below is a brief outline of all the exciting learning we have planned for this term -
- In English the children will be learning about Hercules and other Greek heroes as well as performing a Greek Tragedy.
- In Mathematics we will continue to work hard on the four operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; we will be extending our time knowledge and learning all about different shapes. Please visit the policies part of our web site and look at our calculations policy if you are unsure of the way we completing our calculations.
- Our Science topic is ‘Forces’ and we will be carrying out lots of practical experiment to reinforce our scientific knowledge.
- PE will be on a Monday and Thursday. We will be continuing with team sports, looking at Rounders and Athletics in light of the upcoming Olympics. Please ensure your child has a PE kit in school and ensure that all jewellery is removed on PE days. Please ensure they have full PE kit (shorts, t-shirt and trainers).
- In RE we will be looking continuing to look at Islam; its beliefs and questions, also focusing on inspirational Islamic people.
- In art this term we will also be extending our Greek knowledge by designing and creating a Greek pot.
- In topic this term will be focusing on the Ancient Greeks. Looking at the ideas we use today, Greek architecture and the history of the Olympic Games.
Below is information that is important for you to know this year.
- Please listen to your child read every night and make a note in the home-school contact book. This will ensure they continue to make fantastic reading progress throughout the year, and will inform us when they need to change their book.
- Please practice the spelling words that we have sent home, your child will be tested on a Monday.
- Every week homework will be sent out on a Thursday or Friday and is due back the following Tuesday. Please help your child with the tasks set.
- Library day is Wednesday for Year 4 so please ensure library books are in school on that day.
Please refer to the school website for information about events and pictures of what is going on in school.
If you have any concerns or questions we will be only too glad to talk with you. Please make an appointment to see us after school.
We look forward to reading your comments!
Mrs Tysoe and Miss Marshall